This is me. This is me sitting in front of my computer with one of my current works in progress open and up on the screen. This is me sitting here. And sitting here. And sitting here...
You get the picture.
And while I'm sitting trying to think of what to write, my mind wanders to my other works in progress or WIPs and I cannot seem to think of anything for the current open document, but I have excellent ideas for the others. So I close out one window, open another... and then blank. Where did my ideas go? Let me check my notes...
I've been struggling with balancing my current projects. You would think that being a new mom had mostly to do with it, but that is not true. My son is great. He naps like most kiddos, so I am able to factor in a bit of work time while he sleeps for a few hours out of the day. The only excuse for me is that once I sit down, I cannot seem to focus on one work at a time.
And I think I have finally realized that I've had a brain shift. I used to be able to jump from one work to the next without thought. Hopping from manuscript to manuscript was easy. Brain adjustment was easy, but lately, for some reason, I am finding that task a bit more difficult. I have absolutely no idea why. So as I am trying to get crackin' on my next novel, two novellas, a writer's competition, and a new marketing format, and planning for the Texas Book Festival, I seem to be zapping all my creative energy. (This is where I blow an exasperated breath and pull my hair over my face.)
I'm a list taker. I always have a list for the day. Things I want to accomplish. Things that need to be done. My chores. Then I have my writing list, next to my chores list. Then those lists sit next to my list of things I would like to do 'some time in the future.' So many lists.
So today, I threw away the lists. All but my future goals list, because I like to remind myself of what I'm working towards... but my chores and my writing lists are gone.
After tossing out the balls and chains, I sat down at my computer and typed out 3,000 words for my novel. I finished my next chapter in the writer's competition. And I settled for another 2,000 words in one of my novellas.
How liberating it is not to have the burden of a list. Sitting down and feeling relaxed seemed to do the trick. I think I overwhelm myself with structure that I do not leave room for creative flow. Why? I should know better, right?
But by trying to factor in so many different projects, being a mom and wife, and other aspects of my life, I began to overwhelm myself to the point of stalling my craft. I've felt the itch to write, and the uncomfortable squirm of unwritten words, but had the hardest time actually getting them out.
The lists are gone. The freedom to write is here. And may I say, great things are happening on these pages. Fingers crossed I am able to keep this up. And yes, I did have to make a grocery list earlier... but does that one really count???
Here's to an uninterrupted nap time of writing! :)
No, I have not disappeared. No, I have not forgotten about you guys! I have just been learning how to balance being a new mom and my writer life! I think I've semi gotten the hang of it now, so you will be seeing more of me from now on. :)
Let me fill you on what's been happenin'!
- Redemption Rising released and you guys turned out in volume to snatch it up! Thank you!
- The entire series was nominated for the Summer Indie Book Awards by Metamorph Publishing! Though we did not snag an award, the fact we were nominated is SUPER COOL!
- The Unfading Lands has been nominated for the Best Indie Book Award!! WooHoo! We should find out in November if we bring home the bacon on that one. :)
- I have booked a booth for the Texas Book Festival in Austin, Texas, November 5-6th! I will be in a different pavilion this year in a BIGGER booth! WooHoo! So be sure to come check me out and snag an awesome goodie bag! :)
- I am currently competing in an Author vs. Author competition! So I've been testing my storytelling skills by a write off of sorts. I'm currently still in round one. I will let you know if I advance! :)
- I am also working on two NEW manuscripts! Yay! I am working on a new collection of stories that will contain several books along the way. And I am also working on my next novel! I would love to give you guys an ETA for those, but all I can say is 2017 at this point. Hopefully, in early Spring you will see one of those pop up for release. :)
Again, thank ya'll for such an exciting year, and for allowing me to do what I love... WRITE! It's been a blast and I hope you guys continue to follow along with me as I travel through this publishing world. :)
Howdy Everyone! And welcome to my website! My name is Katharine Hamilton and I am a writer and multi-genre author! Thank you for stopping by!